Diary of an NUS Museum Intern: Christal Wee

Note: Diary of an NUS Museum Intern is a series of blog posts written by our interns about their experiences during the course of their internships. Working alongside their mentors, our interns have waded through tons of historical research, assisted in curatorial work, pitched in during exhibition installations and organised outreach events! If you would like to become our next intern, visit our internship page for more information! 


-

Christal Wee is a fourth-year student studying Geography at the NUS Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. As a Baba House Outreach Intern, she helped put together a new syllabus for the Baba House's Docent Training Programme and conceptualised a virtual tour series for Instagram based on past exhibitions. 

During the Circuit Breaker period, my father had just finished his research on our family history and how our first ancestors came to Singapore in the 1800s, settled down and began a local Singaporean life. My father spoke with pride about our family being Straits Chinese and while I had always known I was Peranakan, all I knew about it was that we ate Nyonya food at Chinese New Year and sometimes we wore the Sarong Kebaya during special occasions. Alongside my love for museums, especially living museums, I decided to check out the NUS Museum internship at the Baba House. This has to be one of the most unique periods of time we are living in. I never imagined myself graduating and entering into the workforce in this manner! Sitting in my bedroom/living room, attending team meetings over Zoom and even going on virtual museum tours. Nonetheless, it has been an enriching experience.



Makeshift home-work spaces

Attending meetings online from my makeshift workspace

Connecting with my family: 


I’ve always associated Peranakan culture with material wealth, beautiful houses in Katong and the delicious cuisine. However, from my recent dealings in cultural geography, I learnt that culture is not about the spectacular, but more so the routines and the ordinary-ness of daily life. The instance of the Baba House could not be a more perfect example of this. Thinking about my own family, yes we were Peranakans, the first ‘Wee’ of my family had indeed hailed from China in the 1820s, settled in Singapore and likely married a local lady. But we didn’t have a family home - my grandfather’s village was long gone. We didn’t have any heirlooms, no big ancestral portraits or stunning furniture. What we had were my great-grandfather’s humble ayam sio and chap chye recipes, my grandfather teaching us how to play Chubit-chubit semat,  learning some Baba Malay words at a young age and listening to my grand uncles and aunts speaking about Ah Kong. These nuggets of oldness was part of my Peranakan culture that I began to appreciate while researching on themes such as language, entertainment and games, and cuisine for our upcoming Docent Training Programme.


Another task I undertook was to examine the past exhibitions from the Baba House and develop the content into a virtual tour on Instagram. While the first and second floor of the Baba House are curated to display domestic life and living conditions of the family home in the 1920s, the third story gallery presents a space for contemporary projects and conversations about the house and its architecture and conservation, the Peranakan lineage, history and evolution, and even wider dialogue on the Straits Settlements. The exhibition that resonated most with me was Chris Yap’s "Fingerbowls and Hankies":


“[My grandparents] lived a life that was not lavishly wealthy, but very honestly grounded in traditions. Those are the memories, the ‘oldness’ that I hold tightly to.” - Chris Yap


I also enjoyed the exhibition “Dressing the Baba”. As I read up about the Nyonya’s Baju Panjang and the men’s hybrid style of dressing, I was able to relate what I read to my own family history photographs. It made me more curious about my own great grandparents, of whom my Dad managed to find these gems of pictures.  Connecting with my own family and ancestry has been an incredible part of my journey interning at the Baba House.

My great-grandfather in western suit (1925) while my great-great-grandmother wears the humble Baju Panjang (1967)

My phone gallery is now full of the slides I do for the Baba House IG virtual tours

The two rare occasions I got the chance to visit the Baba House were for the filming of the virtual tour for the HERE! Arts Carnival. For the past few months, all I knew of the Baba House was whatever I read in the guidebook, and this was finally coming to life. Danielle and I opened the Baba House early in the morning and the more windows we opened, the more sunlight flooded the house, enlivening the space. 

One challenge for me was imagining the spatiality of the house and the Neil Road Neighbourhood. Where is this calligraphy panel? Is it on the wall? On the altar? It can’t be here, there’s not enough space to fit it there. Oh wait, maybe it isn’t as big as I imagined it? I found it difficult to develop spatial awareness of the Baba House from a 2D point of view and so my trip to the Baba House helped me place all the rooms, artefacts and the house layout into their context. Ironically, another aspect of my job involved the conceptualisation of a neighbourhood map for the Baba House. While sitting at home, I’d spend my afternoons ‘walking’ around the Neil Road neighbourhood on Google Maps. Going on site meant that I could finally explore the area on foot and enjoy the beautiful architecture of the houses there!

Neighbourhood walks on the way to buy lunch


Soaking in the atmosphere of the Baba House while eating lunch at the tok panjang, a long table in Peranakan houses typically used for serving feasts


As I have extended my stint at the Baba House, I’m anticipating plans we have in store at the Baba House as we reopen next month to visitors. I’m looking forward to finally going back to Baba House on a more regular basis and meeting our docents and visitors! In addition, the restoration works that are upcoming will be an eye-opening experience to learn about heritage conservation in Singapore.

Comments

Popular Posts