Diary of an NUS Museum Intern: Hannah Nor'Hisham

Note: Diary of an NUS Museum Intern is a series of blog posts written by our interns about their experiences during the course of their internships. Working alongside their mentors, our interns have waded through tons of historical research, assisted in curatorial work, pitched in during exhibition installations and organised outreach events! If you would like to become our next intern, visit our internship page for more information! 

-

Hannah is currently a JC1 student at Temasek Junior college. She joined the NUS Museum for three weeks as part of Temasek Junior College’s Work Attachment Programme. During her time here as an NUS Museum intern, Hannah was tasked to assist with the cataloging of the NUS Museum's Resource Library, she also shares with us her take on a number of artworks from our 'Radio Malaya: Abridged Conversations about Art' exhibition.


Through this blog, I intend to share my experiences and the skills I learned whilst being attached to the NUS Museum. I will include my tasks during the course of my attachment and more. I was able to experience many things over the period of this WOW! program, including visits to several other museums in Singapore such as the Asian Civilisation Museum and the NUS Baba House. I also got to work on the cataloguing of the NUS Museum Resource Library. I learned a variety of valuable skills such as perseverance, hard work, artwork analysis and research skills.

The two main tasks assigned to us are: Creating a gallery guide from scratch and cataloguing the resource library. For the creation of the Gallery Guide, the aim of such a task was to compile a series of quotes into a guide for visitors to be able to understand the different perspectives of the various artworks in the exhibition. On the other hand, the aim of cataloguing the resource library was to create an easily accessible classified table containing all the books, catalogues, magazines, etc. that the resource library contained.

The cataloguing of the library involves a long-term aim of the museum’s management team to eventually put out this catalogue to the public through their website so that it can be easily accessed by students and others who may require the resources from the library for research and projects. At the point I joined the project, the status of the project was halfway done by the NUS interns. In order to catalogue all the books, we took down each book from the shelves and recorded key information (title, author/editor, publisher, year of publication, place of publication, language of publication, country/region and category) in an excel sheet.



Creating the gallery guide was a, generally, new experience. The gallery guide serves a way to add more content to the exhibition by provoking the thoughts of visitors. A gallery guide is a compilation of quotes with relevance to the artworks that we were to select and an overarching theme of choice.

I picked five artworks that, to me, represented the various races in Singapore and the notion of community. The five artworks are: “The May 13th Incident” by Choo Keng Kwang, “Dance” by Chen Wen Hsi, “Ini Pulau Melebih (This Island is Too Much)” by Rafaat Hamzah, “A Thin Green Line” by Erika Tan and “Let’s Chat” by Amanda Heng. In my opinion, the artworks allowed me to research into the various different challenges that all the various races faced in the time when the artwork was created. For instance, with “The May 13th Incident” by Choo Keng Kwang, I looked into the challenges that the Chinese students faced with respect to the National Service Ordinance in the 1950s and the rise of Communism within their student community. With “Dance” by Chen Wen Hsi, I explored the challenges that the Indian community faced with their different languages and their struggle to be a homogenous community. I managed to research more on the various social issues that the modern Malay community faced with respect to “Ini Pulau Melebih (This Island is Too Much)” by Rafaat Hamzah. With “A Thin Green Line” by Erika Tan, I was able to look more into the topic of racial divisions and colonial settlers’ impressions of the various racial groups in colonial Singapore. Lastly, I discussed the notion of community and the romanticized kampong spirit with the topics that Amanda Heng’s “Let’s Chat”.



I find the process of creating a gallery guide extremely enriching and helpful for future use. Our task was broken into several steps. Beginning with choosing the five artworks that interest us, articulating the reason behind our choice – for the first week, we were tasked to look through the exhibition, ‘Radio Malaya: Abridged Conversations about Art’ to choose pieces in the exhibition to include in our gallery guide. We had to pick out 5 artworks that interested us and to write about why they seemed interesting and appealing to us, looking into certain aspects of Singapore’s history that may be related to the artwork. Next, we conducted research on the artists and the historical significance/relevance to Singapore’s history with respect to our main theme – we were tasked with the preliminary research into our chosen pieces. We explored the historical context and messages behind the chosen pieces. To do this, we went to the National Library to conduct research using books and journals to find out more about Singapore’s history during the period of time when the piece was created. We had to pick our related quotes from these sources found in the library or online to be paired with the art pieces in the gallery guide, and to give the reader a perspective on our point of view of the exhibition and guide them through a similar thought process. Lastly, we ended the process by selecting relevant quotes, organising the information and formatting the gallery guide.

With respect to our progress with the gallery guide, our mentor would hold progress meetings with us every Friday afternoon to check on our work and guide us towards the next step. During the meetings, I was given feedback on how to improve and what I should do next. On the first meeting, I was told to find out more about the CMIO policy in Singapore and its relation to different policies. I was recommended to look at S. Rajaratnam’s play “Radio Malaya” for sources regarding racial issues. I was also told to start compiling sources, and to look at more newspapers, academic papers, journals, etc. and to start deciding on the sequence in which the five artworks will be arranged in the gallery guide. One challenge that I faced during this week of the process was the relevance of one of the artworks, that I chose, to my theme of “Community” – that piece was “Landscape in Blue” by Ng Yak Whee. On the next meeting, I was told to look for more sources to ensure that all the various perspectives on this issue were covered. I was unable to attend the last progress meeting as I was on medical leave.

The main challenge that I faced with the gallery guide was meeting the expectations of my mentor and ensuring that the perspectives that I present are lucid and easily understandable. This academic journey has been challenging and it represented a test of my abilities and mental strength. I had to persevere and it has taught me to be more patient and thorough. I learned that the vision I have in my head has to be articulated clearly in order for someone else to see it as clearly as I do. I cannot assume that people think the way I do and I must view the issue from various perspectives to ensure clarity.



Firstly, I was able to sharpen my researching skills. With the task of the gallery guide, I was required to extensively search the Internet and the National Library for relevant sources. I faced the difficulty of having little to no sources on certain topics and had to make do with the small amount of resources I had. This was extremely difficulty at times because even the small amount of resources had little relevancy to my topics and quoting them would be a stretch. For instance, there were very little books, articles, journals, etc. that focused on racial divisions in Singapore’s history when I visited the library. To ensure that I still stayed on topic for “A Thin Green Line” by Erika Tan, I quoted S. Rajaratnam’s play – “Radio Malaya” and looked at colonial settlers’ impressions of the different racial communities in Singapore, as mentioned by my mentor. I feel that, despite research being extremely time consuming and requires me to be meticulous, I think that it has been a good learning point for me and I can greatly benefit from this experience in the future.

I briefly learned about museology through the two learning journeys to Asian Civilization Museum and NUS Baba House as well as sitting in on the presentations on different issues regarding museums by the university interns. By listening to the different opinions of the university interns and my mentor regarding how museums present their exhibitions, relevance of docents in a technologically advanced society, viewing perspectives of visitors, utilization of space by major museums, etc., I was able to gain an insight on the study of museums and their practices.

Furthermore, it was interesting to explore what goes on behind-the-scenes of a museum. Although I was not directly involved in it, I briefly learned the thought process of creating a museum exhibition. For example, I was able to experience the creation of a gallery guide; a way to contribute more content to the exhibition. Through this task, I understood the importance of artistic analysis and the appreciation of the arts. By creating a gallery guide, I was given the opportunity to have a flavour of creating content for an exhibition. Although the task was small, I consider it as an interesting insight of the jobs that curators have when creating a new exhibition from scratch.
On top of that, it was interesting to be able to learn much more about Singapore’s history through the extensive research for the gallery guide. Through the research that I had to conduct for the creation of the gallery guide, I learned much more about Singapore's history during the colonial and post-colonial times. For instance, I learned about the May 13 1954 riots (also known as the National Service riots) through my research on Choo Keng Kwang's woodblock print. I think that such an experience has granted me the opportunity to better appreciate the arts scene in Singapore now. In my opinion, I have greatly benefitted from this experience and am able to better appreciate Singapore's history, with respect to art now.

The most important value that I learned from this entire experience: perseverance. With all the tasks assigned to me, here at NUS Museum, I have learned that perseverance is extremely important. I realised that no matter how challenging a task may present itself to me, I must always push on and continue giving my best in all my tasks no matter the situation. Working at NUS museum has truly changed me, as a person, and has shaped me to be mentally stronger. Through the creation of the gallery guide, I was able to learn the art of never giving up and always giving my best in everything I do. I believe that this value is very important for me in the future, as I will be faced with much harder tasks that require much more perseverance.

Comments

  1. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Whats-app or Call him +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts