Diary of an NUS Museum Intern: Ng Jing Yi

Note: Diary of an NUS Museum Intern is a series of blog posts written by our interns about their experiences during the course of their internships. Working alongside their mentors, our interns have waded through tons of historical research, assisted in curatorial work, pitched in during exhibition installations and organised outreach events! If you would like to become our next intern, visit our internship page for more information! 

-

Jing Yi is a second-year student at the NUS Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. During her time here as our Museum Outreach intern, Jing Yi assisted in research, conceptualisation and execution of the museum's outreach programmes.

April 2018: The Application

"Growing up, my aspirations were ever evolving - a lawyer, a doctor, an author- as
were my interests. The one thing that stayed is my love for stories. (...) I am hoping that the NUS Museum internship will allow me to not just learn about stories of different countries and their people in the region but will also give me the opportunity to tell their stories to others, to share my passion with others." 

May 2018: Conservation Workshop 
Lights out. Glow sticks. UV light. Art. Chemistry.

Fast Forward 2 Months: My First Guided Tour

T-5. 

The glass doors open. Murmurs. Deep breaths. 

“Hi everyone, welcome to the NUS Museum, my name is Jing Yi, and I’m an intern with the museum. A little about the history of the museum. The NUS Museum goes all the way back to 1955, under the University of Malaya…”




If you told me in 2016 that I would find all the chemistry I’m learning useful, I would have laughed at you. But not anymore. The museum proved pre-NUS Museum intern me wrong -- in more ways than one. 4 months seemed to go by in a flash, and I’ve learnt so, so much in my time here. It’s strange to when you realise how there is literally a place for everything in the museum (Well, except pests and food -- they’re not welcome in here. Ever.). 

I applied for this internship hoping that I would be able to tell the stories of the different peoples in the different arts, but it turns out that the number of stories I heard far outnumbered the ones I told. It’s been an incredible journey from trying to figure out what the NUS Museum was all about, to being able to talk people through an entire gallery.

I would like to thank Michelle and Wardah for guiding me along the way, everyone at the museum for all the kindness and help, and to my fellow interns - Eunice, Jaclyn, Terri and Wei Qi - here’s to random conversations at lunch, to foodventures and to keeping one another sane at our busiest. 


I’m not exactly sure how I can put everything I’ve learnt and experienced into words on a piece of paper, but guess what? You can always sign up to be an intern and find out for yourself. I promise it’ll be worthwhile. :)

Did I forget to mention that we saw crocodiles too?


NUS Museum, I’ll see you around. 

Signing off, 

Jing Yi

Comments

Popular Posts