Diary of an NUS Museum Intern: Phoon Gui Shuen

Note: Diary of an NUS Museum Intern is a series of blog posts written by our interns about their experiences during the course of their internships. Working alongside their mentors, our interns have waded through tons of historical research, assisted in curatorial work, pitched in during exhibition installations and organised outreach events! If you would like to become our next intern, visit our internship page for more information! 

In December 2014, 8 interns joined us to work with the curatorial and outreach teams, conducting research for upcoming exhibitions and programmes in 2015 at the museum and the NUS Baba House. Besides those involving our collections and recent acquisitions, the interns prepared for upcoming exhibitions surrounding the work of alumni artists, the T.K. Sabapathy Collection, as well as SEABOOK. They also assisted with ongoing happenings at the museum, including exhibition installation and programme facilitation. 

-  

Phoon Gui Shuen is a final-year Engineering undergraduate at NUS. Gui Shuen joined the Outreach team as a creative design intern for the month of December 2014, contributing to and assisting in the conceptualisation and design of publicity materials for both upcoming and ongoing exhibitions and programmes.

During the December break, I decided to challenge myself to broaden my horizons and venture into the field of collateral design. I am grateful for this opportunity that the NUS Museum has given me. Having admired the work done by great designers, I hope to be able to learn and do it better with my personal touch. Hoping sets me direction while doing gives me the courage to learn and surpass my skills & knowledge. The past one month was definitely a fruitful period for me to exercise my creative muscles as I handled the projects from the Outreach team.

My projects were namely roadside banner, tri-fold brochure, concourse banners, lift stickers and film e-flyers. After receiving the briefs, I went through the creative process of brainstorming and testing before conceptualising and finalising the artwork. All the artworks were created using Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. Along the way, there were rounds of discussions with my superiors to explore and streamline our approaches towards the projects. Getting to know the strategies behind the purposes for the various artworks definitely helped and offered a good start to designing. Also, it was beneficial that I had experience with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop as these projects were great opportunities to understand more about the design software. I am now more confident in my software skills in terms of familiarity with applications and shortcuts as well as transforming a paper design into a digital design.

An internship can be as empowering as you want it to be; it is a good time to explore and try out different things if you have not yet figured out what your calling is. If design rings a bell in your head, I encourage you to go for it and you can be the next one writing your own story. Everyone has the gift to be creative in their own ways; don’t waste it!

Comments

Popular Posts