Diary of an NUS Museum Intern: Huang Ruoxuan


Note: Diary of an NUS Museum Intern is a series of blog posts written by our interns about their experiences during the course of their internships. Besides working hard and fast in their cubicles, our interns have travelled to Bandung and Malacca, organised symposiums, waded through tons of historical research and pitched in during exhibition installations. At NUS Museum, each internship is as different from the last. If you would like to become our next intern, visit our internship page for more information!

For the month of January 2013, NUS Museum is hosting 3 interns as part of Temasek Junior College's WOW! 2013 Attachment Programme where students are given the opportunity to engage in real world situations and to provide insights or solutions. Each week, each student will take it in turns to blog about their experience and give us a little glimpse into their world.

Huang Ruoxuan tells us about her first week and her impressions so far.

-

I have been working in NUS Museum as an Intern for one week. It has been a joyful and fulfilling time. My assignment is to search for Chinese Newspapers articles for Ma Ge (Marco Hsu) and conduct research on Ng Eng Teng sculptures and murals in TJC with my friends.


I had the opportunity to read many old newspapers since 1935 to 1936, though sometimes this was a bit tiring and boring, I still enjoy reading the old things. I collected most of his (Ma Ge) articles. Unfortunately, there are still some missing pieces. I realized that we need to be aware that many excellent art and literature works are missing. I felt lucky that I could have this chance to contribute my effort for collecting and sorting these information.


We went back to school (Temasek Junior College) to research more about the Ng Eng Teng’s sculptures and murals. I never noticed those sculptures and murals before. But this time, I found that those sculptures and murals all have special meanings behind them, allowing me to feel more closely connected with my school. I had a chance to go through all the yearbooks in the school libraries and Temasek Times in National libraries, learning the history of our school. It was very interesting when you found the changed faces and unchanged backgrounds. That is the history, the things are still there, but men are not the same any more. I think we can show our research to others in our school to let them know more about this place.


I like my WOW project J

Comments

Popular Posts